Brief History Town & the School
The city of Jhelum is situated on both the sides of 16th century Grand Trunk Road 100km south of Islamabad the capital of Pakistan. The mighty ‘River Jhelum’ flows along its city centre. Wading through the knowledge takes us back to thousands of years as witness archaeological discoveries of the well planned buried cities in the area.
When Alexander the Great in the 4th century BC., dreamt to conquer the entire planet, he moved towards the east - dropped down here and confronted by the highly organized militia of the then King Porus. A fateful war, between Alexander and Porus, was fought on the bank of the river few miles downstream the present town of Jhelum (Arrian Anabasis of Alexander V.229.2).
In 1st century A.D.; Thomas, the disciple of Jesus travelled towards the region teaching and preaching (T.K. Joseph 1955 Six, St., Thomas Of South India, University of California pa. 27). In the 7th century, the Arabs invaded the land and occupied a large portion in the south – west thus Middle Eastern traditions and Islamic culture began to flourish here.
In the modern-day history; when the Mughal Empire fell to British in the early 19th century, many new reforms were made, and various western attitudes of teaching and learning began to take place here. Even today magnificent and well preserved buildings of schools, colleges and universities of the colonial era can be seen vibrantly in action.
However, the year 1947 after the division of the subcontinent and withdrawal of Britons; in the western part of the land, we experienced the least developed lives with enormous problems and extremely low literacy rate. Though, later on, during the second half of the 20th century several new schools have been built here but the growing population numbered far larger than the number of seats in schools making it difficult to maintain an opportunity to all.
Meanwhile among the shabby houses of poor and lower middle class, it had been long dreamt for an approach that could do highly but for the lowly; a foundation that must be a barrier to child exploitation and could divert the ways which lead to child labour.
In March 2008 LAMB LAMP started its work with 9 students as a home school in a residential property situated in the community on the western outskirts of the town of Jhelum. The 2008 house of LAMB LAMP kids was renovated several times in the same year to create more room and a healthier environment for the increasing number of students. The year ended with over 20 pupils.
The school house was entirely renovated as well as it erected new constructions; along with were laid the fixtures of technological gadgets used for modern learning process in 2009; and the number of students doubled the very year. Following year; the management underwent stressful ordeal of getting the school registered in the government’s department of ministry of education. After presenting all standards of quality, we were awarded the registration certificate in spring 2011.
These few short years from 2008 to 2011 outline the main story of the school. The regular publishing of the school’s ‘Chronicle’ also portrays the complete timeline of historical events which took place at the school. The 'Chronicles' are electronically available on our website; original printed ones are kept in school’s record room and could be provided on request.
Thanks to core of mentors who helped establishing us throughout the time!